Di Russell-Horn Creates Art from the Heart, Creativity for the Soul, and Tranquility for the Mind.

Thursday, April 23, 2009

All roads lead to "Paradise"

There is nothing quite like spending time in my studio, known as "Paradise" in my house. I love the smell of it, the feel of all the textures in it and yes, even the cluttered mess of it.

When I'm having a bad day I will sometimes just go sit in Paradise and look around at all the creations, supplies, and memorabilia in my room. I have my collection of nuns (yes I went to Catholic school for 12 years), various pieces of art that my friends made for me or I made, a few awards and all the things I hold dear to me.


I'm a bit of a pack rat by nature, just because you never know when inspiration will strike at 3am and you'll need that piece of ephemera that you hopefully didn't toss out on your last cleaning binge.
Sometimes I spend more time cleaning up the studio and trying to bring some semblance of order to all of the treasures that Paradise holds than I do in actual creating.
But even the organizing and clean up brings
peace to my soul.


When I do create, I can actually feel myself shift from my left brain to my right brain (this comes with either mellow music or rockin' REO). And then the fun really begins. Hours go by and I am oblivious to the outside world. Living in my dream world of total creation.





So for the last few days, I've tried desperately to organize and clean up in anticipation of showing my house when it goes up for sale soon.
The Realtor took one look, and bless her heart (she is an artist too), said "This room will be shown as a studio and people can just use their imagination if they want it to be a bedroom".


We instantly bonded.


So I am off once more to Paradise to continue to sort, reminisce and enjoy organizing and touching all the beautiful fabrics, paints, papers, metals, buttons and other things that continue to bring me joy.


If you don't see or hear from me for a few days,

send out a search party.

No comments:

Post a Comment