Di Russell-Horn Creates Art from the Heart, Creativity for the Soul, and Tranquility for the Mind.

Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Nothing better than Flea Markets!

I love new adventures and I've been lucky enough to have a few in the last few weeks. While we are busy painting our new home and trying to sell our old home, I have managed to sneak in a few flea markets and estate sales.
Nothing makes me more excited than finding new spots to go to and searching under tables for that precious jewel that no one wants and I can buy for a dollar or too.

Last week I picked up a beautiful old round table with a little drawer that I thought would make a perfect table for the chairs I'm putting in front of the fireplace. I also found gorgeous pieces of blue glassware in bowls and vases that I just had to have for the windowsill of my kitchen. When the sun shines through on the blues and orange pieces up against the white trim and buttery yellow walls, it makes the room sing.

I also found a few dolls with porcelain parts that I just had to have. I went to buy a doll from a friend of mine and fought with her to pay for it because I felt guilty knowing that I was going to rip the doll apart (gently of course) and use the limbs for art pieces. I totally missed the art doll challenge with Art Is...2009 for July but better late than never, I always say.

The hardest part of going to flea markets is containing my excitement until I bargain with the owners. One must not seem too over zealous or the price goes up. I usually can contain myself for a little while, but once money changing hands, I'm all smiles and giddy from the hunt and find!

Getting back to the furniture, I'm going for a "beachy" theme in the new house and the old wood of the table just wouldn't do so my girlfriend Linda and I spent hours priming a bunch of furniture last week. Then of course, we just had to go and check out the local VOA Thrift shops for more goodies.

Then comes my next dilemma, how to finish the furniture to fit in the room. I scoured websites and looked at all different faux finishes and distressing furniture but nothing really caught my eye.
As most people, I do my best thinking in the shower (don't ask me why) and I decided to go to my local craft store and I bought 2 cans of spray paint, one in an ocean like blue and the other in a soft green (love those 40% off coupons!).
I took the furniture outside and my son Brian and I went to town spray painting the furniture in both of these colors. No rhyme or reason, just swirls and fun. The pieces were bright and beautiful but needed to be toned down a bit so after much thought, I mixed white latex paint with water and dry brushed it on the furniture.

WOW!!!! IT WAS GORGEOUS!!!!!
Of course, I have mixed up a huge batch of whitewash and used about a quarter of a cup but it was well worth wasting the extra paint. There is just a bit of the colors coming through and once I take a light sanding to the edges, it is going to be perfect. I'll post pictures soon.

I'm so excited about my flea market finds and turning them into treasures for the new house, I can't even begin to tell you.

So when you're out at estate sales, yard sales and flea markets, don't forget to check under the table for they hold the most wonderful (and cheap) treasures!

1 comment:

  1. HI Di,
    Love your new blog and totally agree with you
    about the fun of flea markets, estate sales
    and etc.. just seems like there is never enough
    time to get to them!
    And I really enjoyed looking at all the
    interesting things going on at "Studio 34" --!

    ReplyDelete